Saturday, July 27, 2013

Blogging Challenge - Day Six

Last Spring I was having a conversation with a long-time friend and happened to mention that I had recently bought a bathing suit. My friend informed me that she never intended to buy a bathing suit ever again. In fact, she said that was one of the things on her "unbucket" list. I'd never heard of such a thing but I was intrigued by it.

Of course everyone has heard of a "bucket list" but come to think of it I don't recall if this concept originated with the movie by the same name or preceded it. Anyway, lots of people have started making lists of things they want to do, or places they want to visit before they die. Nobody likes the idea of getting older and realizing that you haven't accomplished all that you want to do before your life is over. 

The other impetus for creating a bucket list is the realization that as you get older your options shrink. For example, at a certain age you may realize that your dream of winning a beauty pageant or American Idol is just not going to happen. (They don't accept contestants over a certain age and you are way over a certain age.) Things that were still viable options in your youth just are not any longer. Or you may realize that you will never have enough money to own that beach house you always dreamed of, or travel to Bora Bora. Most likely you have accepted these limitations as simply the facts of life, but you might have experienced pangs of regret and real sorrow thinking about all the things you'll never get to do.

Even still, there are many things I'd like to do and many places I'd like to visit before I die. I've never made a written list of those things and I'm not sure I want to, probably because I realize that in the great scheme of things nothing on that list would be as important as spending time with grandchildren or teaching children's Sunday School or volunteering in my community. 

I consider every day a gift from God and another opportunity to be a better person than I was the day before.  So I don't think I'll ever feel the need to have a bucket list personally. Now an unbucket list - that's another story, one we'll explore tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: